Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tuesday Boozeday: BEER-witzer!



Tuesday Boozeday continues......

Had to take last week off, my apologies, due to the last minute arrival of friends from out of town, unexpected and totally welcome.  But we are back with the latest edition, this time featuring a twist on one of my families favorite cocktails, The French 75.  Now a traditional French 75 is made with gin, simple syrup, lemon juice and then topped off with champagne.  My family loves a good cocktail, in fact, I could pour a perfect martini by the time I was six (no comments, please, my parents are great!).  One Christmas, we were all home from college with friends over.  We decided to mix up a batch of these from a recipe that we found in Gourmet (my mom was an avid subscriber).  The next day,  we promptly renamed them HOWITZERS, because they kicked our ass.  So imbibe with caution, this is a sipper for celebrations.

I've renamed it the beerwitzer, since we are going to sub beer in for the champagne.  I always have at least three bottles of champagne in the fridge (because there is always a reason to celebrate SOMETHING), but for some beer is usually more available.  I suggest a nice Belgian style ale for this one, that subtle sweetness and nice yeastiness is going to be a great match....as well as a nice contrast to the herbiness of the gin and tartness of the lemon.  I picked Farmhand from Brewery Vivant for it's pleasant lemon quality, nice carbonation, and general drinkability.  That's me outside Vivant when we taped the GABT there, oh so long ago.


BEERWITZERS

1 ounce gin (I used +New Holland Brewing Company Knickerbocker)
1/2 ounce simple syrup or agave syrup
1/2 ounce lemon juice
Belgian style beer (I used Brewery Vivant Farmhand)

Mix up the gin, syrup and lemon juice in a shaker filled with ice.  Pour into a glass, and top with the beer. Sip gently.

No comments:

Post a Comment