Friday, September 6, 2013


Yes, I have one of these!




Yep, it's true.  I own the pro pot.

My insane sister got it for me a few years ago, because my son and husband are insane football fans.  I have to say, I use this little beauty quite a lot.  It's much smaller than my big time crock pot, which makes it perfect for dips for parties.  Plus, just look at it.  It is hilarious.

So my buddy K from high school is heading on down to the U of M game this weekend with some friends and needed some tail gate ideas.  As a former season ticket holder, I say "HAIL"!  Most of the games that I attended I ate absolutely no food at the tailgate, which is probably why I don't remember most of the second halves.  I always recommend laying down a good base before consuming large quantities of Michigan craft beer.  So serving up some tasty snacks is a good idea.  We are kind of still in that in between weather here in Michigan....cool in the morning, like fall, then heading into summer by afternoon.  So maybe not quite time for chili yet, save that recipe for the October games.  Plus it needs to transport well, and be good before, and after the game.  Here are two ideas.

This one I'm sure you have had, and if you haven't, get it together and go out more!  My friend C used to make this for work parties years ago, and would never tell us what was in it.  The name says it all, it will disappear.  I would make this the night before, refrigerate, then put in the crock pot first things in the morning and crank it up to high.  Make sure it gets smoking hot.  If you are short on time, microwave it until totally hot.  When you are ready to go, wrap the whole crock pot in a big beach towel and take it to the game.  That should keep it hot until you get there.  This is good cold too.

Disappearing Chicken Dip

1 8oz package cream cheese
1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
1 tsp garlic salt
4 green onions, sliced
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 cup hot sauce/wing sauce
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese

corn chips and celery for serving

Mix the cream cheese, dressing, salt and onions together until smooth.  Toss the chicken with the hot sauce.  Fold together the cream cheese, chicken and one cup of the cheese.  Pour into a baking dish and top with more cheese.

Bake in a 350 degree oven until hot and bubbly and starting to brown.  Serve with the chips for dipping.





I like to make huge sandwiches on baguettes, wrap em up tight in plastic wrap, and transport in a cooler, under everything else.  The pressure will help the bread absorb the dressing, and everything just sticks together good.  Obviously you can make these with whatever ingredients you want, but I love all things Italian, so we head to the boot.  And this is not a puss sandwich, load that thing up with cured meats and feel like

Pressed Sandwiches

1 baguette, sliced in half lengthwise
fresh mozzarella, sliced
fresh tomatoes, sliced
1 jar roasted red peppers, sliced and drained
1 cup pesto
coppa ham, serrano ham or proscuitto

Spread both sides of the bread with the pesto.  Layer up the rest of the ingredients, I like to coat each layer with salt and pepper so the whole thing is seasoned well.  Wrap up the whole sandwich in plastic wrap tight and store in the fridge until you are ready to go.  Place in the cooler, then I usually place a sheet pan on top, and load the rest of the stuff on top.  Slice when you get to the game, so don't forget to bring a serrated knife!



No comments:

Post a Comment